Sunday, February 11, 2007

Thomas Hardy unobscured



I love Thomas Hardy. This love affair began my senior year of High School. We had just moved to Orange County, CA to start a new journey and I got to go to a new school as a senior. I had no friends, didn't go to the prom, and, due to a silly California State law, had to take Driver's Ed - even though I had my license for the last two years!

Anyhow, I started this last year of high school by taking English Lit with Mrs. Leslie. Now, Mrs. Leslie was a small woman who wore really great Sesto Meucci shoes and I'm sure her suits were not St. John's - but they were pretty close. She sometimes woke up late and her hair was messy but she always had her bright pink lipstick on. She used to get so tickled by talking about Thomas Hardy and all the sexual entendre present in his work...through her love of him, I fell in love with his writings as well. I made my mom walk all over London searching for his books (unpublished in the US). We even went to his grave at Westminster Abbey.

There is a new biography out of his life called Thomas Hardy, Life Unobscured. I would love to buy the book, but have had so little time to read for fun! Hardy wrote Jude the Obscure, Tess of the D'Urbervilles and other emotionally charged books. If you want a good place to start with T.H., start with his short story The Withered Arm. I think you'll be hooked!

No comments:


About Me

I work at a Christian School district only 4 miles from my home. The people there are full of grace and love and I am glad to be a part of this ministry. I have a neice and nephew whom I love dearly. They are 12 and almost 15 respectively. I have two amazing sisters and two amazing brothers-in-law. Of course, I would not be here if it were not for my mother agreeing to marry my dad. Good going mom! My parents are my life and I would literally be NOTHING without their unconditional love, support and care. You rock mom and dad. Then there's Will & Lora...their giggles are like sunshine and their parents crack me up too.

Twitter...see what I'm doing!

    follow me on Twitter