Thursday, October 12, 2006

An Innocent Man

John Grisham has written his first non-fiction book called An Innocent Man. It tells the story of a guy in a small town who is accused of murder - and perhaps is innocent. Grisham believes he is innocent and in fact was released from prison and returned to his home town of Ada, OK and then ends up drinking himself to death and dies of psoriasis of the liver.

I want to go and get this book at Costco (now that I'm a member). I like John Grisham and he's a great writer. This book has me thinking about justice and innocence. Those who know me, know that I've had a brush with the law and it really could have gone either way. Only because of God's grace (oh...and my innocence) did it not go down a very bad road. I tend to want to fight for the innocent - those that are victims of their circumstances - people that are in the wrong place at the wrong time or make bad choices.

I also really like the Innocence Projects that have cropped up in different cities around the country. The UW had one that used to post things on the internet and it was fascinating to read the stories. Sad...yet captivating.

That's all I think for now. I want that book so will need to go to Costco.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i cannot imagine how helpless a person would feel in that situation. it's scary.
so, i guess i'm out of the loop...i haven't heard about this "brush with the law", but i'm glad things turned out okay
:o)

Red Letter girl said...

You're not out of the loop...it was just 1997 and only a few knew me then. Someday Lori!

Anonymous said...

I spent some time talking with a man on death row in San Quentin -(California). I reviewed all the evidence as he said that he did not commit the murder that had landed him on death row at 19 (he was 44 when we were conversing). I was struggling and praying about his guilt or innocence and what I thought...and then heard God telling me - be his friend your job is not to decide his guilt or innocence...you are to love...and I tried - the best I could in that little wire cage - to love him and come alongside him. I learned much through this man.

Red Letter girl said...

I have a new friend Paopao!

TheologyMom said...

Did you read J's response to our comments on Amy's blog??? I'm not responding. I have to let it go....

Anonymous said...

me like paopao!
Thanks for sharing your story - I appreciate you even more now. If that is possible.

TheologyMom said...

People Mag gave this book four stars...not that it matters, just thought you might like to know what my "Bible" said about it....


About Me

I work at a Christian School district only 4 miles from my home. The people there are full of grace and love and I am glad to be a part of this ministry. I have a neice and nephew whom I love dearly. They are 12 and almost 15 respectively. I have two amazing sisters and two amazing brothers-in-law. Of course, I would not be here if it were not for my mother agreeing to marry my dad. Good going mom! My parents are my life and I would literally be NOTHING without their unconditional love, support and care. You rock mom and dad. Then there's Will & Lora...their giggles are like sunshine and their parents crack me up too.

Twitter...see what I'm doing!

    follow me on Twitter