Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Are we different?

"You are different. You are different because now you know that God exists, and [God] alone matters. It is an overwhelming, awesome thought.... You are different in the sense that now all people belong to you and are part of you, and you belong to all people. At the same time, you belong only to God, and you belong to [God] totally. There is a distinction between you and others, and at the same time, there is no distinction at all, but a blending of all into one. The demarcation that exists is a spiritual one, born of what you have lived and what you can never explain."


- Catherine de Hueck Doherty
Soul of My Soul

I really like this quote - on so many levels. I love that God alone matters. Nothing else. He is the reason for existence...not family, friends, bills, jobs, money, nothing...HE is the reason. I also like it for the responsibility it requires. We know God exists and now are among a set-aside or peculiar people to do his work. We belong to all people, not in some weird existential way that we can't explain - but in a way of responsibility. A way that has no excuse other than loving them. Period. Good, bad, ugly.

We are a marked people - I wonder if any of us really understands that or lives that? We know God...our lives should be different. Things no longer matter...where you live, work, eat, sleep or what you own doesn't matter.

Kind of deep for a Tuesday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Man those "Catherine's" sure are wise!


About Me

I work at a Christian School district only 4 miles from my home. The people there are full of grace and love and I am glad to be a part of this ministry. I have a neice and nephew whom I love dearly. They are 12 and almost 15 respectively. I have two amazing sisters and two amazing brothers-in-law. Of course, I would not be here if it were not for my mother agreeing to marry my dad. Good going mom! My parents are my life and I would literally be NOTHING without their unconditional love, support and care. You rock mom and dad. Then there's Will & Lora...their giggles are like sunshine and their parents crack me up too.

Twitter...see what I'm doing!

    follow me on Twitter