Sunday, April 22, 2007

Rethinking our Passion


This weekend was amazing. Some of the hardest physical work I've done in awhile-but worth it! We had a record breaking Saturday at Mosaic with the Missional Learning Day with Brian McLaren. He was pretty good-and I really liked his concept of integrated mission - which goes along well with the idea that we do not bring people to Christ - we're not that good. Instead, we bring Christ to people - where they are at...get it? We INTEGRATE. I love it because I love the diversity of what it could mean.

Anyway...I talked to my friend Timmy about his concept of changing our passions and that sometimes God broadens our perception of what we are passionate about...always for our good although it maybe hard at the time. It's hard because it seems like you're "giving up" one passion in place of another - but I would posit that one passion may lead to another if we are willing to allow God to work. I can jump up and down and say "I WANT TO FEED THE POOR!" but what if, through the love of my church community and that neighborhood, I am doing that even if I don't recognize it at the time? I think it's not only possible, but probable. A change in perception is all it takes.

Timmy preached today and spoke from Jeremiah about allowing the Potter (God...) to mold us into what HE would have us be. Sometimes we're rough around the edges due to our resistence but in the end, the Potter creates something useful and beautiful and able to be used for whatever intended purpose.

Honestly, I am having a hard time with the whole thing - but that's just when the Potter reassures me that it will work out for his glory - and that we are on the right track.

No comments:


About Me

I work at a Christian School district only 4 miles from my home. The people there are full of grace and love and I am glad to be a part of this ministry. I have a neice and nephew whom I love dearly. They are 12 and almost 15 respectively. I have two amazing sisters and two amazing brothers-in-law. Of course, I would not be here if it were not for my mother agreeing to marry my dad. Good going mom! My parents are my life and I would literally be NOTHING without their unconditional love, support and care. You rock mom and dad. Then there's Will & Lora...their giggles are like sunshine and their parents crack me up too.

Twitter...see what I'm doing!

    follow me on Twitter