Friday, June 23, 2006

The Power of Canceled Sin


Charles Wesley wrote a few hundred really great hymns. We don't sing them much anymore, but one was swirling around the empty recesses of my mind yesterday.

"He breaks the power of canceled sin
He sets the prisoner free;
His blood can make the foulest clean;
His blood availed for me!"
O for a Thousand Tongues
Canceled sin is one of the evil one's most powerful weapons against a follower of Christ. The constant reminder of what we've done, who we've done it to (or with), and how bad it really was is a tool the EO uses against us whenever he can.
Remember, the sin has been canceled by our asking Jesus for forgiveness...yet it continually presents itself when ever our idle minds happen across the memory. It's been forgiven, forgotten and impossible to see yet still gives us pause and obviously was such an issue in Methodism at Wesley's time that he wrote about it.
Jesus does break the power that canceled sin can have over our lives - if we let him. Maybe we should sing this little tune more often.

2 comments:

TheologyMom said...

Satan is such a p@#*k..:)

Anonymous said...

Yes, more hymns please.


About Me

I work at a Christian School district only 4 miles from my home. The people there are full of grace and love and I am glad to be a part of this ministry. I have a neice and nephew whom I love dearly. They are 12 and almost 15 respectively. I have two amazing sisters and two amazing brothers-in-law. Of course, I would not be here if it were not for my mother agreeing to marry my dad. Good going mom! My parents are my life and I would literally be NOTHING without their unconditional love, support and care. You rock mom and dad. Then there's Will & Lora...their giggles are like sunshine and their parents crack me up too.

Twitter...see what I'm doing!

    follow me on Twitter