Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Fall Reading List

I have not given a reading list lately and since school is over this week (for the quarter) I will be grabbing some books I've wanted to read. Here is a list of what they may be:

1. Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl
A little wordy and rift with cliches, it's a good mystery about a young girl and her dad after the loss of their mother/wife.

2. Messy Spirituality by Mike Yaconelli
"I go into churches and everyone seems to feel so good about themselves..."

3. Sin in the Second City: Madams, Ministers, Playboys, and the Battle for America's Soul by Karen Abbott.
A real life story of the Everleigh sisters and the brothel they operated in Chicago during the early 1900's. Kind of similar to Devil in the White City (GREAT BOOK!)

4. China Road: A Journey into the Future of a Rising Power by Rob Gifford.
Rob is an NPR correspondent who had an excellent series several years ago while journeying on China's route 312 - some 3000 miles stretching from Shanghai to a small town in Turkestan. Called the Old Silk Road - this book chronicles more of this amazing journey - and since I've been to Shanghai...twice, I thought it would be fun to read and I liked his stories on NPR.

5. Girl Meets God: A Memoir by Lauren Winner.
Recommended by both Jen on This Pile and my personal trainer...I thought I would give this a whirl. I did NOT like her Real Sex - as it didn't give me permission to have pre-marital sex...dangit!

6. Upside Down: A Primer for the Looking-Glass World by Eduardo Galeano
Reading this book feels like an acid trip. It has an amazing way of wrapping its ideas around your head and then leaving you to figure out how to unwrap yourself. Think of being in a maze and realizing you will come out eventually - after all you can't live in the maze. I need others to read this so we can talk about it (Bill & KL Mayhew??)

This should take you through the rainy days of fall-scary Ghost Parties and Thanksgiving turkey!

If anyone else has recommendations, please chime in!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been waiting for a book list! If you haven't read "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini (The Kite Runner) I highly recommend it. It's a hardback, but I'll lend my copy.

Anonymous said...

I have Paula Deen's autobiography on hold at the library - "It Ain't All About the Cookin'". This woman has led a very interesting life to say the least and I am really excited to read it :)

P.S. We need to get together again soon!

TheologyMom said...

The 7th Harry Potter is great too...which I'm sure everyone who wants to read it already has...I'm reading "The Kite Runner"...I know, I'm behind the times.

This list looks a little too complicated for my pea-sized brain!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I only read teenage books so I can bond with my son. Right now I am on the 2nd book of the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer. Brent has already read this one an is on the 3rd book. It's about a girl who falls in love with a vampire. They are actually quite riveting. Reminds me of my teenage days minus the vampire part, of course. Plus, it impresses the children that I can read a big book in a weekend.


About Me

I work at a Christian School district only 4 miles from my home. The people there are full of grace and love and I am glad to be a part of this ministry. I have a neice and nephew whom I love dearly. They are 12 and almost 15 respectively. I have two amazing sisters and two amazing brothers-in-law. Of course, I would not be here if it were not for my mother agreeing to marry my dad. Good going mom! My parents are my life and I would literally be NOTHING without their unconditional love, support and care. You rock mom and dad. Then there's Will & Lora...their giggles are like sunshine and their parents crack me up too.

Twitter...see what I'm doing!

    follow me on Twitter